How to build a StuntBums light.
Hi, maybe a few of you saw my little project already on the StuntBums Facebook site, but I want to show you what the idea was, how I made it and so on. :) The Idea: Okay, so what was the idea behind this project? Well I sat at home and had nothing to do. I surfed on the internet and stopped at stuntbums.com. And then I saw that sprocket again and had this vision running through my mind. *What about an CNC made StuntBums sprocket?* *Hm... * *Sick idea...* *But how can I realize it...* I had the same thoughts again and again and again. So I decided to do it. I called on of my friends, who is able to make technical drawings, and asked him if it's possible to make a step file out of it. And he said that he wants to try it. Two days later I got my step file with my first idea. At first I just wanted to make a real sprocket out of aluminium but that was too hard to realize for me. So the basic idea died right after the start. (Take a look at pic #1) A few weeks later I talked about illuminated signs with one of my workmates. And there it was, my final idea! Mill that logo into a plexiglass plate and use LEDs to illuminate it. I started to make plans again. And everything worked out just perfectly, in my mind. The Process: So I made the program to mill that logo, bought some plexiglassplates, got my tools and right after a nine hour workday, I started my project. (Take a look at the pics 2,3,4,5 ) Everything worked out AWESOME! At that moment, I knew I had the right idea. But there where a few more questions... How can I illuminate it? Where can I put the cables? How can I make that thing even cooler? I sat at home, had a beer in my right hand and just starred at the wall. And I saw the best way to make it better. *what about a frame? just like a pictureframe?* Two minutes later my first drawing was done and I knew that the next workday would be a loooong one. I started again after my normal workday to mill that frame. This time out of an aluminium plate. At 1.30AM the first version of my frame was done. But the best thing was: THAT SUCKER DIDN'T FIT AT ALL! Damn... Okay, so I made a new one. And this time everything worked out fine. (Pics 6,7,8) But there was this question again... How can I make that thing glow? And I was lucky! My cousin is electrician and helped me. So I bought 16 high power LEDs, cable and everything we needed. We put it all together and it worked, My first reaction was just simple: HOLY SHIT! :) (Pics 9,10,11) The assembly/ Final result: When the electric thing was done I had all the parts I needed to buid the coolest light ever. I polished that frame and painted the backplate black (for a nice contrast). And then I put together all the parts for the first time. The plexiglassplate is dirty on this pic, but I promise you guys, it looks soooo cool! :) And this is the point where I'm at now. I had no time to finish that thing this week. But this weekend it should be done, finally :) LEAH AND ANTHONY, this is for you guys! :) And thanks to ALL the persons who helped me! :) Thies for making that step file, my cousin Dennis for all that electric stuff and my workmates of course! :) Oh and thanks to several German breweries, rockstar and the meanest metalbands on this planet :D *sorry for my English guys!*